January 31, 2018
The CAS Institute (iCAS) is pleased to announce its second Predictive Analytics Community of Practice event, to be held Monday, March 19th in conjunction with the Casualty Actuarial Society’s Ratemaking, Product and Modeling (RPM) Seminar in Chicago. The full-day event, scheduled for 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., is designed for advanced practitioners working in the area of Predictive Analytics/Data Science, and will include panels, presentations, and roundtable discussions of advanced topics in predictive analytics both within and outside of the insurance fields. Attendance at this event is separate from the RPM Seminar and will require a separate registration fee of $350. Registration for the RPM Seminar is not a prerequisite of attendance.
The content of the inaugural Predictive Analytics Community of Practice day will include:
- A brief overview of the Certified Specialist in Predictive Analytics (CSPA) credential, including its exam process and continuing education requirements.
- Presentations/workshops on specific topics (within and outside of the insurance field)
- Networking opportunities
Topics currently being considered for the program include:
- Accessing External data – how to access (preferably free) external data, such as using Census dataferret package to obtain a variety of data, using HDLI (highway) data.
- Using Beautiful Soup and other web scraping software
- Tools for EDA and visualization: e.g. Tableau (a commercial product) vs R
- New (and classic) data science books we need to know about.
- The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Research opportunities available to members of The CAS Institute
If you are an experienced practitioner who is actively doing this work (e.g., an actuary, data scientist either within or outside insurance, or a faculty member) and are interested in joining the Community of Practice event, please register soon as space is limited. Make sure you select Reg Type: iCAS Member to obtain iCAS member pricing.
While the Community of Practice event is a separate seminar designed for advanced practitioners, the RPM seminar will offer additional continuing education opportunities in predictive analytics on March 20 and March 21; those sessions are open to all RPM registered attendees. Members of iCAS are eligible to register at CAS member rates; you should select Reg Type: iCAS Member to obtain iCAS member pricing.